Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

convert from bitstream to vhdl

Status
Not open for further replies.

princesse91

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I want to read or convert from bitstream to vhdl.. Does this operation is possible?? And if yes, how can i do it??
Thanks in advance

The FPGA companies don't publish any information about the bitstream content. Probably to make it as hard as possible to produce clones of the FPGA chips.

@std_match that mean that i can do this conversion or not??
And what about the conversion from .hex to .asm.. Is it possible??

And what about the conversion from .hex to .asm
The question isn't related to FPGA configuration bitstreams, I presume. Microcontroller machine level code can be disassembled to asm text, of course without any symbolic information.

Scientific papers have demonstrated deriving a gate level netlist from unencrypted FPGA bitstreams. But there are no commonly available tools for it, in so far I don't think it's a practical option for you. Deriving a high level (e.g. VHDL desription) from gatelevel can be also quite difficult.

disassembly will work ok as long as the code doesn't have any countermeasures.

I suspect it would not be that hard to reverse engineer the .bit format. It makes sense not to publish that info because the user doesn't need to know it ever. This reduces support costs and allows freedom in changing the format whenever the design team wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.