Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Conversion to sound pressure level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shweta_S

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I recorded a speech signal using a microphone. How should I convert this voltage output to sound pressure levels??

Is there a direct relation between the microphone output to the sound pressure levels??

You need to look at your microphone data. It should give a sensitivity figure.

Keith

I went through the microphone data and this is what was mentioned:

Sensitivity: -51±5dB @ 1kHz 0dB=1V/Pa

How do I proceed with this data??

I may be wrong because it is often not clear if companies are meaning -51dB volts or -51dB in sound pressure, but assuming dBV, it means that you will get 2.8mV per Pascal.

Keith.

Ok so i got to divide my voltage signal by 2.8m to get the Pascal value. Is the relation linear??

Why is it mentioned as @1kHz? Does it vary depending on the frequency

Yes, the relationship is linear (until you overload it). They specify at 1kHz because it will not be flat with frequency. There should be a frequency response plot with the microphone as well. Is it a Knowles microphone?

Keith.

Status
Not open for further replies.