Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Conversion of 9-0-9 AC to 3V DC output voltage..

Status
Not open for further replies.

harisharanyp

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to convert 230 ac voltage to 3v dc using 9-0-9 transformer at the input side..How to rig-up this rectifier circuit..Is it necessary to use 7805 ic ?? Using this 3v dc to power the xbee module..plz help :)

I want to convert 230 ac voltage to 3v dc using 9-0-9 transformer at the input side..How to rig-up this rectifier circuit..Is it necessary to use 7805 ic ?? Using this 3v dc to power the xbee module..plz help :)

Hi harisharanyp and Welcome to EDABoard,

You can use 3,3V voltage regulators, no need for 5V regulator if you need 3V.

What you mean under "input side" ?

:wink:

Thank you for your reply.Input side means input of the rectifier.Did you mean three 3v voltage regulators? if so then please give some more info about the 3v regulator ic. Waiting for your reply.

Thank you arunava7.. Can you help me out with the circuit using LM317?

Thank you arunava7.. Can you help me out with the circuit using LM317?

You can find application samples (examples of circuits) in manufacturer part datasheet. Datasheets you can find on links in post #5, just click on info link or check manufacturer web site.

You could use a bridge rectifier some smoothing capacitors and a voltage regulator. You need a 3V voltage regulator not a 7805. You will need to be careful on thermal management as the bridge and regulator may well get hot when reducing from rectified 9V (nearly 13Vdc) down to 3V dc, rather depends on you current requirements.

Sorry posted this a long time after looking at the original posting so missed that others are already helping, I haven't yet read their posts.

Actually, I've found it difficult to find a good 3.3V voltage regulator as such...I've used mostly LM317's and the results are fair

Use bridge rectifier at transformer secondary like W02G. The use of 7805 is not necessary and its output will be 5V not 3V. Also, its efficiency is less than 60%, u will end up wasting power but it will cost less and good for testing purposes, instead use switching buck regulator, it will give efficiency of 98%, and advisable to use in applications.
While using buck regulator, make sure the surge currents meets the xbee module specification and do add big electrolytic cap of 2200uF for heavy surge requirement of module if any.

You can find application samples (examples of circuits) in manufacturer part datasheet. Datasheets you can find on links in post #5, just click on info link or check manufacturer web site.

ok..Thank you.will search about it and reply to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, I've found it difficult to find a good 3.3V voltage regulator as such...I've used mostly LM317's and the results are fair

Link shows doesn't match any document..plz check the link.Thank you.

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back