Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling Multiple Contactors with one ESTOP control line

Status
Not open for further replies.

skywalker898

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I have multiple pieces of equipment that need to be able to be turned off using an emergency off button ESTOP. Because the total current draw is high for all equipment, I need multiple breakers, and consequently multiple contactors. The easiest way to turn off all these contactors simultaneously seems to be to just run the ESTOP control line through all the contactors' control lines. I am wondering if this seems like an appropriate solution?

I've attached a picture that shows two contactors, with their control lines in parallel, but with the ESTOP able to cut current to both. Is this how one would normally use an ESTOP to control multiple breakers?

MultipleContactorsWithOneControlLine.PNG

Thanks,
Brandon

Why are you adding two eSTOP switches in series ?
The electric current flowing across both is the same.

There are two estop switches because they are in different locations. One estop is in the experiment room while another is at the control station. They need to be in series so either one kills the circuit.

The diagram seems appropriate at all, anyway the only remark - perhaps off-topic - is that you must be very careful in dealing with contactors because of the high capacity to propagate high intensity induced noise along the circuit. Something that called my attention is the use of Arduino modules, which in general do not have a robust design.

Status
Not open for further replies.