Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controlling harware using computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Js_Ong

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
labview fanuc robot

Hi All,

I am working with my robot hardware, it works well with the switches, but I want to upgrade it into a robot that could be controled using computer,(like CNC). As a beginner , what is the suitable software I can learn about using computer to give an output signal to my hardware?

Thanks for advise...

in my college as per at i hv seen
i gues u shud try to operate ur ROBOT using VISUALBASIC
it provides easy operating of hardware
n can be used by evry1 with ease
i gues this shud help:D

you need to decide on an interface. by that I mean the connection between the PC and the robot. The easiest to implement is serial comms though USB is definately the way to go nowadays. you can also go for a wireless connection but that is quite complicated and you will need to design some hardware.

GO FOR PARALLEL

The easiest is the parallel port....8 Outputs and 5 Inputs... Try programming it in VB

Hi all,

I had learnt for VB before, but just a very very simple source code like doing unit conversion and promping the images, but never learnt how to convert it into a usable software and never learnt the source code for transmitting the data to circuit board. I had searching in internet, there are a lot of source code that I never understand. No body guides me, and I do not know which way I suppose to start.

Hi saeed_pk,

I am doing some robotic like gantry, robotic fingers. I am planning in upgrading the robot in controlling it using PC, for evry movement, but how to start a software, I have no idea at all. I am using 8051 controller and the serial or parallel cominunication is good enough for me, I couldnt found any USB IC here.

If you need a continous flow of data to your robot than you it is advisable that you go for serial communication. Serial communication with 8051 is no big issue. Try searching pages or you can even use the compiler`s example programs on RS232 communication.

Regarding robot, use small DC servos motor for applied motion. And these servo motors require a specific duty cycle pulse to rotate to a specific angle. You can also find pages and manuals to how to use these servo motors.

http://www.robotstoreuk.com/ACTUATORS/HITEC-SERVOS/HITEC-SERVOS-1.htm

I suggest U to PC Based Controller. Some PC Based Controller very strong in NC and robot, motion control like GE Fanuc. Used It, u can programming in IEC 61131 Language: LAD(for Electricant), FDB (Electronicant), IL, ST (IT), SFC. It is easy way to do Ind. Robots.

I find that the Labview is the best simple strong solution for pc hardware interfacing

1-PCI plagin card of many vendors have labview driver
2-external USB-daq also possible like:
https://www.advantech.com/products/Industrial-USB-I-O-Modules/sub_1-2MLKNO.aspx

2-serial port for MODBUS :
https://www.advantech.com/products/RS-485-I-O-Modules-ADAM-4000/sub_1-2MLKHT.aspx
there are many other chip module from many vendors

3-creat your own i/o board with parallel port or rs232 com port and write its driver program and application with Labview.

Hi,
You can use LabVIEW as PC Based GUI to control your Robot. You may require Analog Input, Digital Input to get information from sensors, Analog Output, Digital Output for driving solenoids and Motor Controller for driving motors. These cards are costly. If you are having Microcontroller to do drive and sense, you can use Serial Communication.

--

I believe that you can built your desert easy with labview, but you need to connect the pc/mac with ur robot.in the following site appears an interface that u need...check it!there are also many dffrents types...u can search in this site to find what exactly u need!

https://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/202752

hope help u!

B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back