Controlling Charging /Discharging current of Supercapacitor with a DC-DC converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

manishanand14

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Everyone!

Please tell me how will I control the charging current of a Supercapacitor Bank using a DC-DC converter.

Connecting a suitable value and wattage resistor I can control the charging current but this will be an inefficient method.

I want to charge a supercapacitor bank from a 3V supply till 5V via a boost converter.
The max. current output of the 3V supply can be 500mA.

I plan to make a boost converter using MC34063.

How can I limit the output current of the boost converter to max. Say 200mA.

Thanks for the reply.

What's an ICL chip and how it works?
Can you please name a few popular ones?

Greeting to everyone!

Can I use TL431 or LM317 as current limiter while charging the supercap bank from a low current supply.

LM 317 is a constant current source and it can be used to provide a constant current to the super cap

TL 431 is a shunt voltage reference

better go with LM 317 as a source

Thanks Jeffrey!

My intention is to limit the charging current of the supercapacitor bank with minimum losses.
If I use LM317 it will waste a lot of energy as heat.

The charging source will be hand cranked PMDC motor which will act as a DC generator.

Say my DC generator is generating 0.5V -4V depending on the cranking speed.I am using a DC-DC converter to step it up to 5V[The converter will start working at 1.5V] so that power generated even during low cranking is utilized to charge the supercap.

So what you are suggesting me that I shall use a LM317 in between DC_DC converter and the supercap bank to limit the current.

I can also limit the current by using a Carbon resistor of suitable value.
So, what advantage I will gain over carbon resistor method.

Please clarify.

i am wondering if you want the simulink model or you want the circuit , or have u had your question answered

Status
Not open for further replies.