Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

controller brand/family for my app

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccccrnr

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a few projects in mind that I need controllers for (and I didn't see this situation in past threads, from quick look)

The enviroment is enclosed but from -50°F to 160°F( -50C to 70°C)
I want to program the chips from USB. I also need to be able to fetch stored memory data from flash from time to time. perfer serial download from controller.
I want to be about to put the controller on my on bread boards or PCB's(if work on bread board trial) and not be marryied to a demo-board where the controller chip is soldered on.
But demo with removable chip is fine.
I need 4 or more output at least 1 is analog
and inputs need both digital and analog
I need to be about to do math in real time (or access a floating point chip)

I took a class in assembler, but don't understand it. Assembler is not an option.
C, basic, ladder logic, or graphical would be fine.

I've looked at using pic(microchip), Adrenio, PSOC(cyprus), picaxe and a few others but different draw backs.

My budget is ~US$100. For that I'm looking for the programmer, software, & 3 controller chips with shipping to start out.

What brand-chip-controller would you suggest?:?: thanks

Hi,

Being as you are in the USA I cannot see any reason not to go with the Microchip Pics.

That will cover all the points you raised including you budget.

Look on the Microchip site for the Pickit2 programmer, Stand Alone or with either the Starter Kit board or the Degugger board - they are little boards that come with a load of lessons for Assembler and C that also comes with them for free - proper versions as well.

**broken link removed**

The Pickit2 is well covered in this forum and at the price is unbeatable.

Two points - when visiting Microchips site they are pushing the new Pickit 3, avoid it ! it is very poor compared to the Pickit2 and still more expensive.

If using breadboards with micros, ensure you use good quality new breadboards as the signals are small and high speed , and for that reason, if using crystals they are best soldered direct to the part and not plugged into the bboard.

I use PICKit3 its very good, I can't see what problem you have ??

ccccrnr

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,
I use PICKit3 its very good, I can't see what problem you have ??

Please don't get me wrong, I'm very much a Microchip fan, with all their free software and great selection of hardware , particularly the Pickit2 which is probably going to be an all time favourite.

However the dearer Pickit3 should have delivered much more - but as you can see from various forums, including Microchips own programmer forum the unit has many short commings compared to the cheaper Pickit2.

If you are a high end chip user then the Pickit3 will have some advantages, but for the typical diy hobbyist the Pickit2 will more than meet your needs.

OK, I have not yet used a Pickit3 but when so much if written about it you would be foolish to simply ignore it all.

I think this video blog sums it up very well, see also the follow on "microchip response"

Not trying to be the devils advocate, but if you can contradict those main failings described in that blog then please help put the record straight.
https://www.eevblog.com/2009/10/21/eevblog-39-pickit-3-programmerdebugger-review/

ccccrnr

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks, doing some more comparison and reading it seems pic kit is the most economical of everything out there.

Which IDE/complier/interface would you suggest to a starter that is free? Or just use what comes with pic kit?

Which family of Microchip is the best to start learning and building with?

and can Pic Kit 2 be used to program any Microchip IC?

Hi,

Well as you are just starting out it would make sense to start with the Microchip software products.

They are the most widely used and most are full versions and totally free to download and use now.

MPLAB IDE is the main program comes with assembler and you also can load versions of C to suit the chips you are using.

You can downnload them all now and use them fully, you do not need hardware yet, mplab has an inbuilt simulator etc.

There are many other IDEs and versions of C but they are generally for the more experienced user and often have various hardware restrictions that can create problems.

As for chip choice, the 16F range is the most popular but the similar and improved 18F range is easier to use and has loads more memory that is needed for C.

While the Pickit2 is the best value programmer you perhaps need to look at the many development boards around including the many versions from Microchip.

ThePickit2 Starter or Debugger kits are excellent value, however there are some really good fuller kits like these, some come with there own programmer built in - have a good look around and see which you feel meets your needs.

**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Status
Not open for further replies.