Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Controller area network (can)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajusripathi83

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,,

controler area network(CAN) controller ic has how many pins?

what is the diffarence between can protocol and can controller are they same ?

any boby can provide me the pin diagram of can controller? with i/o ports functionality?

please......

thanking you

hello Raju,

Can controllers come in various packages and in various forms.
1. Some of CAN Controllers are integrated into microcontrollers such as AT89C51CC03
2. Some of the CAN Controller devices come as separate chip such as MCP2515 (from Microchip). MCP2515 is a SPI to CAN bridge IC which comes in various packages such as
A. 20 pin QFN
B. 18 pin SOIC
C. 18 pin DIP

CAN protocol is a communication scheme that is more related with number of bytes to send and receive, message IDs etc. Whereas CAN controller is a physical device which implements the CAN protocol.

You may look at datasheet of MCP2515 device to understand more about internal architecture of CAN controller

MCP2515 DATASHEET:
**broken link removed**

and I would suggest you to read following topic on CAN from:

1. Introduction to Controller Area Network (CAN)
https://www.microchip.com/Microchip.webcontent.provider/Video.aspx?id=en558238

2. Controller Area Network (CAN) Tutorial - National Instruments
**broken link removed**

3. CAN Introduction and fundamentals
https://microcontroller.com/CAN_(Controller_Area_Network):_Introduction_and_Fundamentals.htm

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back