Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Control of MOC3021 Solid State Relay Using PIC16F877

Status
Not open for further replies.

Asabzi2000

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
Am designing Microcontroller Based Autmatic Transfer Switch for a gen set. I want to use solid state relays (MOC3021) for the control of the engine starter relay. The relay should be powered to start the engine starter when utility power is lost. I want to use about 4 of the relays. How do I connect them to the MCU. Any help (including circuits) will be much appreciated! Kindly find attached my design (the MCU and the AC Voltage sensors)

Attachments

• MBATS.GIF
    MBATS.GIF
    144.7 KB · Views: 126

moc3012 is not a solid state relay but an opto-triac.
you need another triac to switch the load. there are lots of examples, the first one is in the moc3021 datasheet
regards,

If the engine start relay is DC then you will need a DC output opto-isolator or solid-state relay, not one with a TRIAC, such as the MOC3012, which can only operate with an AC output. The opto-isolator you show in your schematic is a DC output type.

To drive the isolator or relay from an AC source you need to put the diode in front of the resistor and add a capacitor from the junction of the diode and resistor to the opposite input terminal to filter the AC. Otherwise the relay will turn on and off 50/60 times a second.

Thnx a million times Crutschow, could u kindly help me with a schematic? Thanx in advance

- - - Updated - - -

Thnx Kripton, is it the combination of the opto-triac and another triac that make the SSR? Kindly expatiate to me.

Is the input control AC or DC and is the output signal being controlled AC or DC?

What is the output load?

Status
Not open for further replies.