Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

control of ceiling fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

okman

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys
in my house, i have ceiling fan, but when choose the lowest speed of ceiling fan by fan regulator ,the ceiling fan is rotate very quickly.
now my question is:
can i put variable resistance in series with the output of regulator of ceiling fan in order to decrease the speed of ceiling fan???
the ceiling fan is ac motor
input to regulator is 220v 50Hz

If the reulator is not functioning as what is expected, the bet thing is to change the regulator first.

There are certain things to be considered if you want to make one yourself. It is not worth the risk what comes along with that.

thank u cameo_2007
but the regulator is work with no any problems
also when increase the speed of fan by regulator , the fan is respond to the regulator
but my problem is the lowest rang in regulator is give high speed and i need to decrease this speed at the lowest rang of regulator.
note: i bought a new regulator to this fan but also give high speed at lowest rang of regulator

this is due to mismatch of the regulator to the fan
the winding turns in the regulator are not correct for speed control
by trial and error the correct winding for low speed needs to be found out and the core rewinded

hi guys
now my question is:
can i put variable resistance in series with the output of regulator of ceiling fan in order to decrease the speed of ceiling fan???

A resistance in series with the output will generate a lot of heat while wasting electricity. You don't want to generate heat and at the same time try to cool down the room with a fan.

Reactions: okman

okman

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Code:
this is due to mismatch of the regulator to the fan
 the winding turns in the regulator are not correct for speed control
 by trial and error the correct winding for low speed needs to be found out and the core rewinded
i am bought a new regulator and the regulator have same company of the ceiling fan (i.e ceiling fan and regulator from same manufacturing (Ramco company) )

ok , now, can i put variable shunt resistance with the output of regulator???? shunt resistor in order to reduce the current

This regulator problem is seen in a lot of other brand fans also
Putting a resistance will generate a lot of heat and will be a fire hazard
Try the electronic fan regulator(triac) instead

okman

Hey man
your idea is dangerous! It may be lethal if you do any mistake wile work with 220V 50Hz. This is wise to change the regulator and buy new one.

Best of luck

Hasan

okman

I think you are using a regulator which is more commonly called "AC Fan Dimmer" These low cost dimmers are made up of a Potentio Meter, Triac, a diac and some passive components mounted on a small pcb. All of these dimmers made up of Triacs control the output voltage by controlling phase or better said chopping the 220VAC cycle. Since they only control firing angle without looking at the RMS value of the output voltage their output strictly depends upon input voltage. Also when the various AC fans have difference in their electrical parameters therefore with some fans these dimmers seem to be working fine. In fact these low cost dimmers don't actually regulate but vary the output voltage by controlling the firing angle of the Triacs.

What you can do is (In my opinion) open up your dimmer circuit and compare it with any dimmer circuit such as this one:

**broken link removed**

Identify the R1(10K) in your circuit and increase its value so that the firing angle of triac can become a little more late.

the other thing that you may do is check what capacitor value does your 220V AC ceiling fan uses. normally they use ~2.2uF to ~3.5uF value you may reduce this capacitor value to reduce your fan speed.

Both the options will affect the maximum speed of the fan, therefore you will need to find component values that are reasonably good for you at both max and min speed.

Hope it helps
Regards,
Asim

Hi,

I have 56" inch ceiling fan, i try many brand capacitors of 3.5uf but my fan still runs slow. Not like my other rooms fans running fast. however i buy local Pakistan made capacitors. but i tried many companies.

So i want to know can i use 4uf or 4.5uf or 5uf capacitor with fan to increase fan spinning speed , is it safe to use?. i really want to speed up my fan. it's very hot weather. :(

also i am not using fan speed regulator, fan is direct to on off button.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back