Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

control a 110VAC Hydraulic Solenoid

Status
Not open for further replies.

engineer1000

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have 110Vac Solenoid that I need to open and close. The simplest way I can think of is having the neutral permanently wire witht the live going through a set of relay contacts. I can then control the solenoid using a 24vdc signal on the 24v dc coil of the relay.
Is this the normal way that it is done?

Its more convenient to switch the neutral with your relay contacts, leaving the live connected to the solenoid. This reduces the risk of some one killing them selves by brushing the tags on the relay. It would be good practice to put a voltage snubber across the contacts else the sparking when the contacts open will wear them out.
Frank

Hydraulic solenoids are often controlled switches with soft start/ stop and speed control with PWM and pressure sensing.

What are your specs? Obviously power, pressure and DC voltage are some of the options available. But PWM is most common method with target profile with/without feedback depending on loads.

- - - Updated - - -

The cheapest hydraulic solenoids are found in washing machines rated for 10% line variation using 115Vac but flow rate restricted for water continuous duty using line switch only.

Its more convenient to switch the neutral with your relay contacts, leaving the live connected to the solenoid. This reduces the risk of some one killing them selves by brushing the tags on the relay. It would be good practice to put a voltage snubber across the contacts else the sparking when the contacts open will wear them out.
Frank

Thankyou for your very helpful response

A lot of countries prohibit switching in the neutral only, for reasons of safety, i.e. the unit is off but the phase is still running around inside "live" so be judicious about your approach...

A lot of countries prohibit switching in the neutral only, for reasons of safety, i.e. the unit is off but the phase is still running around inside "live" so be judicious about your approach...

i have managed to get the solenoids switched fromm 110vac to 24v dc much safer

i have managed to get the solenoids switched fromm 110vac to 24v dc much safer

Anyway, the same approach above must be considered, if not so for safety purpose, at least for avoid current leakage in the event of poor insulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.