Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Connection between PIC18F452 and Zigbee module through ttl

Status
Not open for further replies.

adwnis123

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, I want to connect the PIC18F452 and a zigbee module. The problem is that the PIC output is 5 Volt and the Zigbee TTL 3.3 Volt. So I need a component to put between them. I assume it has to have fast slew rate?? Can you help me??

Thank you!

There are a number of level shifter ICs available.
However, you need to think of what is required first: by the way you phrase your question I understand that you want to output a signal from the PIC and input it into the ZigBee. If that is all you need to do then you might get away with a couple of resistors as a voltage divider.
If you want to input a signal from the ZigBee to the PIC, then you can try to connect them directly - I don't recommend this but the 3.3V "high" voltage can be above the threshold to trigger the 5V PIC to recognise the signal. However the better way is to use a transistor .
If you want a bi-directional signal, then there are bi-directional level shifter IC's (try a Google search as there are many manufacturers, chip footprints and sizes etc.).
As for the slew rate, that really depends on the situation - it must allow the signal to pass as fast as you need it to. For example, if you are connecting 2 UARTs at 9600 BAUD, then the slew rate can be a lot slower than of you want to use 921,600 BAUD; however the timing inherent in an asynchronous protocol can get over the 'jitter' that be seen on the input side. If that is important, then you might be able to use a Schmidt trigger input to overcome it.
Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back