Confusion on voltage divider and high voltage measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

The overall purpose was to build a circuit to magnify a RF signal from source. The signal is a little bit specific in that it contains two frequencies f1 and f2, and f1:f2=1:2. So in order to be resonanced with input signal, the circuit needs to be tuned (through C3) to get 1:2 frequency ratio. All these tuning processes are monitored through the monitoring output connected to a scope. (resonance state was decided by its amplitude)

Once the frequency ratio was obtained correctly, the output voltage was gradually increased through a commercial linear amp between RF source and the circuit. The desired the voltage output was 6kV-7kV. That output voltage was also monitored through monitoring port, with a designed voltage divider ratio of 1:1000, which means I should observed 6-7V through the scope.

Up to now, I have successfully got all except I am not sure how much voltage do I really obtain from output. I think I should have some direct observation of the output voltage. There are two ways of doing that: 1) directly measuring output voltage (with some attenuators in between the scope), and 2) directly measuring voltage divider ratio, which was what I have done.

The equipment was homemade, and was built to function as a voltage source for research purpose only. No national security secret involved. ;-) I am now also trying to fabricate another set of inductors of higher Q instead of current ones.

I must admit I am not a electronics engineer, so I need to learn a lot.

Thanks for your interests.

Felix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…