Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

confusion on rectifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

joe1986

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
IT is SAID THAT A RECTIFIER CONVERTS PULSATING AC INTO DC.................how is this actually done???

google full wave rectifier circuit. Basically it takes the absolute value of the ac signal and the filter out the the kinks with capacitors.

Hi Joe,
Why confused? You can easily see that the input to your rectifier is an AC (pulsating) voltage with zero average value. Since the rectifier conducts only in one direction, it produces a unidirectional output, though pulsating, but having a DC average value. I think this what your statement tries to say.
Regards,
Laktronics

thanks doctor............ ACTUALLY 3 yrs ago i had made a mini project on LEAD ACID BATTERY CHARGER so while reading the working of the power supply section which used a full wave bridge rectifier.........there was this statement so i was wondering what does that statement mean technically!!! doubt is cleared, so no confusion now!!!!:D........thanks again!!!

The point of rectifier is that the switches in it block the negative voltage go thru. so that only positive voltage, which is DC, gets out to the output.

joe1986 said:
IT is SAID THAT A RECTIFIER CONVERTS PULSATING AC INTO DC.................how is this actually done???

yzou_ua gave a new turn to the question !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.