Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Confirmation of explanation for triggering circuit

Status
Not open for further replies.

felicia_1

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Referring to the links https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=120338.0 , my explanation is as below. I would like to know whether my explanation makes sense and how can i know how the triacs works. Or someone else can provide a better explanation. How to verify the circuit works or not using LTspice?

Trigger circuit works for triggering triac to turn on the power. The hot line in the schematic refers to the live wire (the input voltage of 230V) and the neutral refers to the ground. The RC circuit (R8, R9, R10, R11) and C1 protects the triac from voltage spikes. Besides, R8, R9 ,R10 ,R11 are for snubbing of the triac.
The opto-isolator is a solid state device designed to provide electrical isolation between input and output. The input consists of a light emitting diode (LED) in a 6 DIP (IC) package depending on type. The output can be a photo transistor. There is no electrical contact between input and output. When the LED is turn on, the diac will conduct from the light emitted from the diode thus turning on the triac like a switch.
The 5V current power source is used to provide voltage to Arduino for triggering purpose. When the Arduino Trigger pin function, it triggers on the transistor Q1.

Status
Not open for further replies.