Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Configure all ports with analog function as digital

Status
Not open for further replies.

snishanth512

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Configure all ports with analog function as digital

Disabling comparators

If I am not using those ports

What is the reason for setting this configuration?

Does it saves the power consumption ?

If you don't configure them as digital, you can't use the inputs as digital inputs to check whether its state is high or low or as digital outputs to send 1 or 0. Instead they'll be configured as an analog pins.

Instead they'll be configured as an analog pins.

I am not using that port.

So, it not a problem if it configures as analog.

My doubt is that if it configures as analog by default, will it consume power than being a digital port?

- - - Updated - - -

By default, will the comparators enabled?

It depends on what device you are talking about. It sounds like a PIC of some kind in which case you can leave the pins in analog state but unless you have them tied up or down it isn't advisable. When in analog mode they have high impedance and are therefore more prone to static damage. If they are unused, make them digital and drive them low it will protect them without using extra power. As far as analog current consumption goes, it doesn't make much difference whether the pin is analog or digital but if you are not using the ADC, you can save power by making sure the ADC module is turned off. Likewise with the comparators, turning them off will reduce power consumption.

Brian.

Reactions: tpetar

tpetar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.