Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Complex power. V and I of lumped elements

Status
Not open for further replies.

kavea

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,
Can some one explain me how is it possible to get these voltages and currents on this circuit ? If P=1kW, f=2MHz
2014-06-01 02_46_47-CADEMA.png
And/or these amplitudes of voltage/current at the power supply in ADS:
2014-06-01 02_42_18-[ cyl2_15m2_cadema_prj ] power _ (Schematic)_10.png
2014-06-01 02_43_18-power_ [page 1]_5.png
It doesn't match my calculus, because i find \[U_{rms}=264.5V\] and \[I_{rms}=4.52A(-33.3^{\circ})\]

You do not say exactly where Urms and I rms are in the circuit. If this is meant to be a resonant circuit then X2 (output L) can be replaced by two Ls in parallel, one whose reactance is the same as the aerial but with the opposite sign ( i.e. +j519) and another to bring the total reactance back to +j 417. By a back of a fag packet calculation, I make this about +j2000. So this L and the series C and the remaining L, is a 1:1 matching circuit, so the 3 ohms is reflected through to the generator, this is not a good matching unit!! . I suspect your figures are correct.
Frank

You do not say exactly where Urms and I rms are in the circuit. If this is meant to be a resonant circuit then X2 (output L) can be replaced by two Ls in parallel, one whose reactance is the same as the aerial but with the opposite sign ( i.e. +j519) and another to bring the total reactance back to +j 417. By a back of a fag packet calculation, I make this about +j2000. So this L and the series C and the remaining L, is a 1:1 matching circuit, so the 3 ohms is reflected through to the generator, this is not a good matching unit!! . I suspect your figures are correct.
Frank

Urms and Irms are calculated at the power source, as well as U_SRC and I_SRC on 3rd figure (but max values). No, it isn't a good matching circuit, the equivalent impedance of all circuit is about \[Zin=48.85+j32.15\]. But it's ok, i want just understand the values given by ADS and (especially) by another calculator at the 1st screenshot. I also suspect my figures correct, but if i could find these values by calculus it would be great. There is all to be be calculated by hand [F=2Mhz, values of components, P=1kW, Z0=50 Ohms]. The goal is to replace this matching circuit by an other (5 or more elements) and calculate V and I at every single component, because voltages of several kV are too high in 3 element matching circuit.

Do you own a text book about AC circuits?

Not particularly dedicated to RF applications, but with a good introduction to RLC circuit calculations: **broken link removed**
Normally yes, but i will take a look

Last edited:

I know that the best way to deal with these short aerials is to put a L in series with them, at resonance, the load presented will be 3 ohms. There will be a high voltage across the L, so wind it with insulated wire on a large former perhaps using basket weave. Now you have to match 50 ohm to 3 ohm, no ultra high voltages, just the output current ( 1 KW across 3 ohms = ( P=I^2 R) = 1000/3 ~ 17 A.
I worked on a 400 KHZ 80W transmitter that had to be matched to 3 ohms+ 100 PF, it had a huge coil in series with the dummy aerial. Coil former was about 100 mm in diameter. To adjust it to resonance, it had a smaller coil former inside the main one with windings on it that were in series with the main coil. One rotated the inner coil ( + / - mutual inductance) to resonate the dummy aerial.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.