Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Comparator to trigger ADC collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

mindcrusher

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
triggering adc with timer

Hello,

I am new to the microncontrollers and electronics and I would apreciate some advice.

I need to sample data from PZT sensor using an MSP430 microcontroller. Since I can't monitor the ADC port continuously I want to use a comparator that needs to trigger an interrupt starting the data sampling in the MSP.
I am wondering what will be the effects on the received signal if I am using the comparator on the analog line. Between the sensor and the ADC I have a charge amplifier with a 100 ohm output impedance.

adc collection

How would the comparator trigger the ADC, based on what changes?
Why not set up a timer and read the ADC evry x ms or seconds? This is what I would do. Set up a timer to generate an interrupt and when that happens read the ADC.

trigger adc

The PZT will generate a signal after an event has occurred. I am interested in measuring the specific event. As the event takes place at random time intervals the best data recording trigger will be when the voltage on the line passes a certain threshold (indication of an event) and therefore I thought the best solution will be a comparator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back