Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] comparator gain monte carlo analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

hans_r

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
open loop amplifier gain monte carlo analysis

Hi,

I'm using a differential amplifier as a comparator to compare a ramp with an input voltage (ramp ADC principle). The comparator is just an amplifier with enough gain to amplify to Vdd/Gnd. I want to do Monte Carlo analysis to see how the gain changes caused by the mismatch. This is where I run in to a problem: the gain collapses in most of the monte carlo runs. I believe this is a simulation problem, not a circuit problem. Even when I use very big sizing (10's µm in 180nm process) the problem remains very big! I think it is because the DC bias point at the output changes (it drives the current mirror to other operating region), and therefore the gain-calculation is wrong: it appears to be very small. Offcourse the whole problem starts with the fact that I am using an amplifier in open-loop! Therefore I am looking for help on how to simulate it accurately!
Can someone tell me how to accurately do gain Monte Carlo analysis on a comparator?
Your help wil be much appreciated!
Kind regards.

Last edited:

Re: open loop amplifier gain monte carlo analysis

This solves the problem!
Screen Shot 2012-04-12 at 18.47.50.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back