Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Common mode gain of a diff. Stage with non- ideal current source

Status
Not open for further replies.

vijaysunil

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
For the diff stage with non ideal current course with current source resistance as Rss.(ckt diagram attached)
The differential gain is given by -gmRD.

I have biased and simulated the same with Iss = 100uA and Vin(common mode) = 4V.

When i did hand calculations, the differential gain comes out to be -8.98, whereas when i simulated it, the gain comes out to be -10.7 which is more then the calculated one.

My understanding is that since we have neglected gds( or Ro) in parallel with RD we should get a smaller gain when the circuit is simulated; however, the simulated value(-10.7) of the gain is more instead of being less than calculated value(-8.98)

Can somebody please explain this.

Thanks lot in advance.
Vijay

Attachments

• diffamp.jpg
    diffamp.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 94

hi,
In differential mode tail node is almost like ac short so it doesn't matter how bad your current source but it matters for common mode gain. Many times i have observed problem with simulation setup, So please check or explain to us how did you measured differential gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back