Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Common Emitter Active Load Diode Drop Causes Voltage Offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

fobos3

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am trying to design a common emitter amplifier with a current mirror for active load for an AGC. The problem I am having is that the voltage at my base is 0.7V + Vin. This causes a voltage offset when using small gain and saturation when using large gain, which is specified by the feedback network. Any ideas on how to solve this?

Regards

P.S.
Gain between Vb and Vout is about 59dB

For different gain settings you'd probably need different bias concepts or application circuits.

In order to get more help, could you, possibly, show your current schematic?

Here is my circuit:
circuit.png

The problem I am having is that the output of the amplifier is given by:
\[V_{out} = V_{be} - \frac{R_1}{R_2}(V_{in} - V_{be})\]
If I set the gain to -1, I have a sine wave centred at 1.4V. If I set the gain to -2, the sine wave is centred at 2.1V etc. Eventually, if the gain is large enough, the output reaches the positive power rail and my my output is just DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back