Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Common Centroid for differential pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmfs10

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When I work with differential pairs, I constantly deal with the following transistor construction, for two cut transistors:

AB|BA
BA|AB

But for better matching, I think this one below would be better, giving 2 axis of simmetry, mirroring the x-axis and the y-axis:

AB|AB
-----
BA|BA

Where am I wrong?? Why is the first used more than the second?

I don't see the difference, axis-of-symmetry-wise.

It might be as simple as the original form appearing
first in textbooks so lazy readers will not bother past
that point, to see alternatives.

When I work with differential pairs, I constantly deal with the following transistor construction, for two cut transistors:

AB|BA
BA|AB

But for better matching, I think this one below would be better, giving 2 axis of simmetry, mirroring the x-axis and the y-axis:

AB|AB
-----
BA|BA

Where am I wrong?? Why is the first used more than the second?

For Diff pair

For the input pair that requires good matching don't apply common centroid (AB|BA technique) but do interdigitation ( AB|AB) as this will be better in matching including wiring. (I am talking specifically about this case of simple 4 transistors)

For current mirrors like the load current mirror or biasing current mirrors do common centroid with the middle transistor is the reference transistor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back