Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

coating mask for PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

nikens

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I need a coating mask (I think) so I could paint and protect my PCB after etching process, but before I solder components to the board. Since my local electronics supplier doesn't have much chemicals I found some on Farnell but don't know if I need some developer with it (like NaOH), or will I remove a mask from points where a solder will be applied.
Thanks!

That is a temporary coating designed for use in wave soldering processes. It is a thick rubber-like material that is painted over areas where you don't want solder (holes for wires, connectors etc.).

There are "photoimageable solder masks" which require an extra few steps in your process.

Hi, I need a coating mask (I think) so I could paint and protect my PCB after etching process, but before I solder components to the board. Since my local electronics supplier doesn't have much chemicals I found some on Farnell but don't know if I need some developer with it (like NaOH), or will I remove a mask from points where a solder will be applied.
Thanks!
For protecting home made PCB's easiest is to coat the surface with thin coat of clear varnish. As varnish is not a good conductor of heat, it creates problem while soldering. Thus first solder the components, test the circuit, and then apply a thin coat. But later if you decide to solder a left out component, you need to scrap out the varnish from the required area.
Cheers

That is a temporary coating designed for use in wave soldering processes. It is a thick rubber-like material that is painted over areas where you don't want solder (holes for wires, connectors etc.).

There are "photoimageable solder masks" which require an extra few steps in your process.

Can you help me found this on Farnell, since search bar doesn't found photoimageable solder masks, and live cheat help desk is only for registrated customers (retailers). Can NaOH also be used as developer here?

pranam77 I want my PCB looks like industrial, so I wish it to be in green or red paint.
For protection (galvanic corrosion) is good a common wood lacquer - since all my PCBs that I made so far works fine in wet inviroment with it.

PS Youtube video of what I want

Last edited:

I guess the Green or Red masking ink is an industrial raw material and may not be available in small quantities unless you have a PCB manufacturing friend. If you have one you can request him to apply a solder mak of the required color. RED, Green, blue, and even black colors are used. To coat the PCB, and make it look like a professional one, a screen printing process is a must and the Paint is not recomended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back