Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

CMOS high-to-low level shifter: how it works?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bb12mpc

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I am doing to a multi-vdd SoC design, there is a high-to-low level shifter available in the process. What I understood on high-to-low shifter is to aviod over-stressing from high-v output to low-v input (pls correct me if I am wrong!).

When I look at the circuit, the high-to-low level shifter is just two inverters inside. Below is the breakdown of this high-to-low level shifter.

A -> inverter (vdd: low-v, pmos: 0.37/0.13, nmos 0.3/0.13) -> inverter (vdd:low-v, pmos:0.85/0.13, nmos: 0.69/0.13) -> Y

Could someone explain how it works and why it can avoid over-stressing?

Many thanks,
Mark

To avoid the "over-stress", the transistors in the first inverter should be of thick oxide. For example if you want a 3.3V->1.2V level shifter, then the first inverter MUST have 3.3 V transistors. If it has 1.2 V these will be destroyed.

Dear maxwellequ,

Thanks for the prompte response. But what I saw from the schmatic of my high-to-low level shifter, the first and second inverters' VDDs are both connecting to the low-v supply.

So, is it wrong on the ciruit? Or the different transistor sizes do the trick?

Thanks,
Mark

maxwellequ said:
To avoid the "over-stress", the transistors in the first inverter should be of thick oxide. For example if you want a 3.3V->1.2V level shifter, then the first inverter MUST have 3.3 V transistors. If it has 1.2 V these will be destroyed.

OK, let me rephrase... Both inverters must be connected to the low-vdd supply, but the transistors of the first inverter MUST be of thick oxide, to avoid burning the transistors. Is is now clear ? Or what you don't understand is how the circuit operates ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back