Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clock Problem VHDL Spartan 3E (RS 232)

Status
Not open for further replies.

come512l

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
My Vhdl program seems to work when I remove the external clock, but when I add the clock to the RS 232 Reciever Code, It doesn't work anymore in the testbench.

I'm trying to make a UART application, PC to Spartan 3E, my PC (hyperterminal is set to 9600 baud rate) so I have to supply the clock RX DCE from the spartan 3 to match with the baud rate. (I have only done this on testbench on Xilinx) :roll:

My vhdl program is this: I have to send a word to a PC via hyper terminal and sent it to Spartan 3E via RS 232, then there will be an output on the LED depending on the set of WOrds that I sent. E.g BLINK --- output in LED is blinking

Clock code for RX (RS 232)
Code:
entity ClockGen is
    Port ( CLK_in : in  STD_LOGIC;
           CLK_out : out  STD_LOGIC);
end ClockGen;

architecture Behavioral of ClockGen is

begin
	process (CLK_in)
	variable count : integer := 0;
	variable clk : STD_LoGIC := '0';
	begin
		if falling_edge(CLK_in) then
			count := count + 1;
			if count = 2600 then
				clk := not clk;
				count := 0;
			end if;
		end if;
		CLK_out <= clk;
	end process;

end Behavioral;

Here is what it looks like on the Top Module (Removing the Clock on THe RS232 and the CU makes the program seems to work)

struct.png

Last edited:

Basic answer: dont create a clock in logic. Use clock enables instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.