Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

clock generator quartz

Status
Not open for further replies.

yassin.kraouch

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Please who can help me to design a clock generator, in order to be used in a timer, i would like that this clock will be used in two timer of two different microcontroller, how can i use the X'tal ?

Use a crystal oscillator and run it through a divider chain or use a ready made clock/date chip. All you then need to do is to feed this signal via latches to your two micros. You do not say what sort of range you are after. One sort of computer timer uses "ticks" (pulses every .01 seconds?), so the computer has to read a very high number of ticks as a straight number. Can't remember the details exactly,but in about the year 1998, our Dec computers ran out of their 2 ^64 ticks since the conception of the operating system. Rather like the millenium bug, they started again with the time = 0000.... You could encode the time in BCD and the date in standard Gregorian calender form or any thing you fancy.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.