Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Clk multiplication in Spartan 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nikolai

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
clk dll in spartan 2

My spartan 2 kit has an external crystal of 4 Mhz. I need to generate 2 clocks of period 30 ns and 240 ns respectively.

Is this possible ? I guess DLL can perform only clock division, not multiplication.

mnimum dll frquency spartan2

That's correct, the Spartan-II doesn't have frequency synthesizers like newer FPGAs.
You'll need another external oscillator or synthesizer.

Nikolai

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
U can make ur own clock from 4MHz but it will be the integral multiple of 4. U can use the posedge and negedge of the clock and double it and keep doing further until supported...... if it can solve ur problem then try it and for this i can even give u the code as well but in verilog

Hi aafaq, If you your quadrupling method works well, please show us how you do it!

I just realized that a DLL can do a 2X freq multiplication. And spartan 2 has 4 DLLs.
I wonder if all four can be used to achieve a 16X factor.

The Spartan-II DLL has a 2X feature, but its minimum input frequency is 25 MHz. See FCLKINLF in the data sheet.

Maybe you can replace your 4 MHz oscillator with something faster.

Cascading too many DLLs can cause malfunction due to jitter accumulation. Here's more info:
**broken link removed**

Nikolai

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Yes, i forgot the minimum freq requirement. Probably i'll try moving on to spartan 3 or get a faster crystal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back