Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

class c chopper problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaolong

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi Tahmid ,

thanx for advice i added 1k resistor each igbt and they work :D

but still there is something wrong,
when i apply pwm signal to igbts the main bus voltage (200V) is changing, whatever i tried i couldnt make it fixed, do you have and advice for this problem too? should i change the capasitors with ones greater capasity

here is the modificated circuit

Taken from:https://www.edaboard.com/threads/197011/

I am currently working on building a dc class c chopper. It is rather similar to the one as depicted in the quoted picture. Instead of three chopper, I am only using one.I encountered the same problem. The 2 power mosfet blew up when powering a shunt dc motor coupled to a synchronos generator with a rating of 230v 3 to 10a. It managed to turn on the shunt motor for a while at 60v 2.5a not reaching its max speed,but there seemed to be a short which blew the power mosfet instantly.On the other hand, it works fine with a 12v 3a dc brushess fan.I not sure whether is it due to the back emf(whereby I didn't attached a resistor to burn off the emf) or the parasite capacitance at the gate to source, my dead time is aproximately 1us which I think should be enough to prevent both mosfet from switching on. If the problem lies with the resistor between the gate and source may I know what power rating resistor would do (eg. 1k ohm ?watt)
Thank you!

Last edited:

Maybe one of the mosfet's where bad. Bad mosfets tend to short when voltage rises to a certain level, but below the ratings.

Maybe the mosfet is too slow to change state, compared to the chip. Maybe a coil between drain's would help, so it reduces peak currents due to slow mosfets.

Status
Not open for further replies.