Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit for doing a quick 0 V pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

myru28

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm building a ring counter and I need to set one of the 7474s I'm using to "1" and the rest to "0" at the very start, so it comes to their set or reset pins a "0" (those pins are active at low level) for the first miliseconds and the rest of the time a "1", so the counter can work properly.

I have already realized that I could use a microcontroller for this but... I find it to be an extreme overkill, I mean, using a microcontroller for executing just 2 instructions (I'm just into building the counter)? Just no... I think there has to be a much more simple circuit that can achieve that but I cannot think of one.

A button isn't also right for this project, the circuit has to be able to initialize on its own when Vcc is connected.

Any idea?

Regards.

Last edited:

A capacitor is a simple way to deliver a high or low to a pin on startup.

Then it charges quickly and delivers the opposite state as long as power is applied.

Schematics with scope traces:

The 100k resistor is there to discharge the capacitor when power is disconnected.

Reactions: myru28

myru28

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Look, prices on "small" 8-pin microcontrollers are below $1 (example PICAXE-08 with PICAXE BASIC).
And once programmed they perform much better than circuits build of flip-flops, gates and other discrete components.
These microcontrollers also have internal power-on-reset circuit so they always start from instruction nr.0
I'd use a micro ......
:wink:
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back