Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Circuit Diagram

kirtimayee.panda

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can anyone help me to implement this problem statement in multisim "Design a circuit to up convert the frequency of 2KHz to 5 KHz."

Is 'up-convert' a term chiefly used in radio? It suggests sine waves. Can you clarify whether you're converting sines or square waves or DC pulses?

One or the other waveform may lend itself to a different approach for this exercise.

Is 'up-convert' a term chiefly used in radio? It suggests sine waves. Can you clarify whether you're converting sines or square waves or DC pulses?

One or the other waveform may lend itself to a different approach for this exercise.

Sine waves

If the exercise problem is aking for a complete design, you need complete specifications like input waveform, voltage and frequency range, expected output waveform, load. Conversion method, I'd assume frequency multiplication. Additional requirements (available components, power supply)

If the exercise problem is aking for a complete design, you need complete specifications like input waveform, voltage and frequency range, expected output waveform, load. Additional requirements (available components, power supply)
We are just given with the problem statement "Design a circuit to up convert the frequency of 2KHz to 5 KHz."
We have to design it, so if possible provide a schematic circuit diagram and design calculation methods so that I can proceed further with multisim implementation

Let me ask differently, which kind of circuits and electronic components has been treated so far in the design course? Is it about power or signal electronics? Would you expect transistors, diodes and LC filters or a digital PLL circuit?

Let me ask differently, which kind of circuits and electronic components has been treated so far in the design course? Is it about power or signal electronics? Would you expect transistors, diodes and LC filters or a digital PLL circuit?
It's about communication system using frequency mixer and band pass filter

Unusually low frequencies for that kind of application but basically you need a 3KHz oscillator, mixer and a bandpass filter to remove unwanted products. In view of how close the frequencies are, I would choose a balanced mixer to eliminate the 2KHz and 3KHz component and a high pass or bandpass filter to select the additive product only.

Your other option is a 5KHz oscillator phase locked to the 2KHz but that seems outside the parameters of your question.

Brian.

Unusually low frequencies for that kind of application but basically you need a 3KHz oscillator, mixer and a bandpass filter to remove unwanted products. In view of how close the frequencies are, I would choose a balanced mixer to eliminate the 2KHz and 3KHz component and a high pass or bandpass filter to select the additive product only.

Your other option is a 5KHz oscillator phase locked to the 2KHz but that seems outside the parameters of your question.

Brian.
Can you provide me the circuit diagram in the above two options 1. Balanced Mixer 2. PLL

Hi,

Can anyone help me to implement this problem statement in multisim "Design a circuit to up convert the frequency of 2KHz to 5 KHz."
It's about communication system using frequency mixer and band pass filter
You are rather slow with giving comlete informations.

You say "communication" and "2kHz"
2KHz alone ... can not give meaningful communication.
So maybe the 2kHz gets switched ON and OFF (then we need the bandwidth of the ON/OFF signal.
Maybe it is amplitude modulated (AM) or phase modulated. Again here we need to know the signal bandwidth.

(Besides this ... communication usually then runs with MHz and not kHz carrier. But this is just a practical aspect, theoretically it does not matter.)

When you say "convert 2kHz to 5kHz" ... then what happens if the input frequency is 2020Hz?
* do you expect the output frequency "added by 3kHz" to result in 5020Hz? (mixer solution)
* or do you expect it to be "multiplied by 2.5" to result in 5050Hz? (PLL solution)

Klaus

added:

Why did you post in "Social Groups/Social Groups Discussions/Multisim & Ultiboard Help" area?
Until now I don´t see what the question and answers has to do with "social discussion" or "Multimsim/Ultraboard".

Hi,

You are rather slow with giving comlete informations.

You say "communication" and "2kHz"
2KHz alone ... can not give meaningful communication.
So maybe the 2kHz gets switched ON and OFF (then we need the bandwidth of the ON/OFF signal.
Maybe it is amplitude modulated (AM) or phase modulated. Again here we need to know the signal bandwidth.

(Besides this ... communication usually then runs with MHz and not kHz carrier. But this is just a practical aspect, theoretically it does not matter.)

When you say "convert 2kHz to 5kHz" ... then what happens if the input frequency is 2020Hz?
* do you expect the output frequency "added by 3kHz" to result in 5020Hz? (mixer solution)
* or do you expect it to be "multiplied by 2.5" to result in 5050Hz? (PLL solution)

Klaus
Should I use a
1.series-bridge
diode modulator.
2.Shunt-bridge
diode modulator.
3. Ring modulator

Last edited:
IMG-20240103-WA0056.jpg

A PLL circuit uses 4046 and 4017 to multiply a frequency times 2 or 3 or 4 or 5 or any integer up to 10. I see it in Forrest Mims Engineer's Notebook, page
37. (Although the 4017 divides by counting, the 4046 converts this function to multiplication).

So in this way multiplying 2 kHz by 5 to get 10 kHz, then divide by 2 (via D Flip-flop) to get 5 kHz. Sines might need to be turned into square waves and vice-versa.

Here's an article with a similar project of 10x multiplier using 4046 and 7490. (7490 can be configured to divide by any of several integers):

www.electronicecircuits.com/electronic-circuits/4046-ten-times-frequency-multiplier-circuit/

PLL with fractional divider :

Or use PLL, divide by 5 to produce 10 Khz, then a f-f to divide PLL output by 2.

In both cases PLL output followed by low pass filter to extract fundamental sinewave.

Regards, Dana.

Attachments

• Phaselock Techniques (Gardner-2005).pdf
    9.1 MB · Views: 51

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back