Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Cigarette lighter light

Status
Not open for further replies.

rv213

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to make a light using the cigarette lighter, or accessory socket, in my truck. I have an old cell phone car charger and I would like to clip the wires and solder a bulb or LED to the end.

Can I simply use a voltmeter to measure the chargers output (V and I)?
Assuming I can find a bulb or LED rated greater than the output, can I just solder directly to leads?

I would hate to damage the truck by shorting something out. My instrument panel lights went out and I can't see the speedometer at night. I changed the bulbs but that didn't work and have been using the interior light. Would like a cheap convenient solution and this idea seemed easier than tapping into another power source.

Thanks,
Roberto

Try measuring all of the fuses with an ohm meter. I suspect that this is the problem. It is common for auto fuses to blow by having a very narrow gap that you cannot see without a microscope.

rv213

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If you don't have an ohm meter, you can never go wrong replacing the fuse. Your auto manual should show you where they are and which one is the interior lights.

-Jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back