Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Choosing a high performance soft core

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaiko

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm evaluating various soft processor platforms for digital signal control applications.
The requirements are as follows:

1. Free (not nessacerily open source).
2. 32 bit architecture.
3. DSP capabilities with multipliers and FPU.
4. Multi core capability (with each core performing different tasks) - limitted only by the FPGA's density.
5. Good tools to work with.

I came up with the following options:

1. LEON 3/4
2. OPENRISC (1000/1200/2000)

With the listed requirements in mind - please leave your inputs regarging the soft cores I proposed. Also, if you know of any other options that may fit the bill - please advice...

if you mean free as in 'no money' then you will need to revise your list.
No Emb MCU is free. I mean, you are developping code using tools (are they at limited cost), do you need a simulator/emulator? what's the cost of ownership? can you distribute in volume? How steep is the learning curve? Time spent to port the core to your architecture? etc, etc .

Sometimes it's better to pay something for the license and in return you'll get a full blown design environment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back