Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

choices of microcontroller for beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaiZX

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'd like to try to learn about microcontroller programming and maybe do a few hobby projects on my own time, but I'm not sure what model is good as a beginning. Can someone suggest some microcontrollers that I can purchase that are relatively cheap and that I can pick up in a reasonable amount of time?

Actually, you dont have to make a choice. When you understand how one uC does work, than you should have any problem with other...

If you want to try pics first, instead 16F84 use 16F627. It is cheaper.

There are a lot of microcontroller that you can use it is still up to you which is fitted to you. Here are some of the things to consider:

1. What is available in your area?
2. How much are you willing to spend?
3. How good are you in programming (language to use)?
4. Are you willing to invest in compiler and/or assembler software?Are there support for the one you choose?
6. Programmer! Do you want to buy, build or not to use one?

It is hard to begin 'coz there's a lot to consider but how can you get there if you will not start now.

Happy programming. Just post here the one you choose so we can help you starting.

Hello,

I would suggest Microchip PIC. They are the cheapest and the most widely available. All but the most powerful are available in DIP package - much easier to build. Samples are easy to get, However, availability may be different in your country. It doesn't really matter - Just pick one, and stick with it. Once you learn one, the others will be a breeze.

As far as programmers go, I would recommend building your own. It assists in the learning process, and will probably be cheaper. Plans for PIC programmers seem to be easier to find as well. Scratch the surface, get your feet wet, and we'll still be here when you need more help.

Good Luck!

I can vote for AVRs. They are also available as DIL as well as SMD (which isn't THAT hard to solder, considering you have a good PCB). There are also many low-cost boards which have an AVR + some peripherals. But a breadboard of course is fine, too.

Then you can use avr-gcc if you want to code in C, or assembler. There is a free avr simulator from atmel, and they are quite powerful with a lot of IOs.

And they are easy to program, some wires on the parallel port are enough.

If you would like to do it in your free time, like a hobby and recommend you to learn with PICs and use a PIC16F84 for learning a maybe make an ALLPIC prog. because it's easy to program the controller with it. Also download icprog.

Good luck!

for the basic uC features, i dont think anything beats 8051, however you will definitely have to go to the AVRs and PICs of this world for advanced fuctionality. :D

regards,
wiztronix

Hello,

For me was very easy start with PIC's, but I'm agree with another user, if you lear how works a uC, then you could work with PIC, ATMEGA, MOTOROLA, etc.

Starting with the PIC 16F84 is a good choice, and you could build a very cheap programmer like NOPP.

By,

GuillerMo (AR)

Hi

its better you start with PIC preferrablly 16F877A . u can learn a lot with this , since it is fairly complex compared to 16F84.

Try to develop a complete system like (getting i/p from sensor, process & take corrective action). this might be a very good excercise.Infact hardware interfacing itself is a very interesting thing .

Status
Not open for further replies.