Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Charging handheld device

Status
Not open for further replies.

adeel.sid

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello
I am working to develop custom wireless charger for handheld device containing 5V li-poly battery (<1Ahr)
First I thought to develop both transmitter and receiver pair for wireless charging and then I realized that it may be done if I follow Qi standard. In that way, I can use available transmitter and just need to design receiver that will be part of circuit.
Can anyone guide me how to develop small receiver that will be compatible with wireless chargers available in market?
Following TI solution looks attractive but I couldnot decide because of my little experience
https://www.ti.com/lsds/ti/power-management/wireless-power-receiver-solutions-receiver.page

Choice reduce to:
1. BQ51003 (charge current: .5A, output 5V)
2. BQ51013B (charge current: 1A, output 5V)
what is preferred for my case (.8Ahr batetry, 5V)
Please guide
Thank you

You need to learn about a Li-Po battery cell. Go to www.batteryuniversity.com .

One Li-Po cell is not 5V, instead it is 4.20V when fully charged and is 3.2V when discharged and it should be disconnected from its load. Therefore its voltage averages 3.7V.

If the charging voltage exceeds 4.20V then the battery cell might explode or catch on fire. A lithium battery is very dangerous if you do it wrong.
You need a charging circuit that is designed to charge a Li-Po cell.

Last edited:

Your link Alibaba is to a Chinese battery manufacturer. They list an 18650 Li-Po battery cell with a capacity of only 800mAh (most 18650 cells are 2500 to 3400mah) and a voltage of 5V (most charge to only 4.20V). It seems that a minimum order is for 100 of them.

Maybe they are fakes because their capacity is so low. Maybe they have a voltage stepup converter circuit inside.

Look at Wikipedia in Google for the battery cell. An 18650 Li-ion cell is commonly used in the battery for a laptop computer. I have many of them. It is a cylinder larger than an AA cell and is 18.6mm in diameter and is 65.2mm long. Some of them have a protection circuit inside to prevent an explosion or a fire if they are charged or discharged wrong. Another Chinese manufacturer sells a fake protection circuit that looks identical to a real protection circuit.

Attachments

• 18650 battery cell.jpg
    18650 battery cell.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back