Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Change of zener voltage with age?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizedale

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

We are using BZX84-C30 zener to regulate our power supply ao 238V.

BZX84-C30 DATASHEET
https://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/BZ/BZX84C30.pdf

We worry because i heard that zener voltage increases with the age of the zener.
-so do you know what is the rate of change of zener voltage with time?

The electrolytic output caps are 250V rated.

Dear grizedale
Hi
Take a look at TL431 please ! i think it can solve your problem as well .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

TL431 draws 1ma of bias current and that will flow through the upper divider resistor in our setup and mess up the output voltage like that.

[

Last edited:

In your place I’ll be more concerned about their temperature coefficient, check the datasheet, their temperature drift renders them useless in precision applications. :roll:
So if you want less temperature drift, choose the temperature compensated zener reference diodes, those are ideal for applications requiring long term voltage stability over a specified temperature range.

Attachments

• BZX84C30.png
    BZX84C30.png
    28 KB · Views: 109
to be honest we wont really have more than 2mA of current in our zener, so we should escape the temperature problem

How come? :-D Can you provide a solution to obtain a stable temperature environment for that circuit? :cool:

humm ! you completely confused me ! what do you want to do exactly ? why this high value of precision needed ? if you tell us a bit more explanations , perhaps we can help you in better way .
Anywhere , if temperature is pretty important for you , why you don't get feedback from temperature ? then you can affect it , on your values .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith :roll:

its just a simple zener circuit, whereby when the smps gets to the regulation vout level, the zener breaks over, switches on a bjt, which grounds the nfet gate and so no more switching.
The base of the npn needs very little current , so its always less than 2mA in the zener.

I dont need good accuracy, but our vout is reg'd to 238V, and if it ever gets to 250V, then its "goodnight Vienna" from the 250V electrolytic caps.

Zeners certainly do drift with time, but AFAIK there is no way to predict the direction or magnitude of the drift. Voltage references are often spec'd in terms of % drift per 1000 hours, but they don't give a direction. I suggest that you review your design to see if you can increase the voltage rating of the capacitors. 250V rating on a 238V line doesn't give you much room for degradations due to drift, temperature, noise spikes, and of course, Mr. Murphy!

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back