Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

change LED brightness

Status
Not open for further replies.

yassin.kraouch

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have an LED board where i want to add a circuit to control the brightness,
input parameter of the LED board DC voltage ( 12V, 350mA),
i want to add a circuit in such a way that when the voltage turns from 12V to 0V and again 12V ( low pulse of few ms) the current decrease ( for example from 350mA to 200mA),
and when again i do the same pulse the current decrease more ( for example from 200mA to 100mA)
can anybody help me and propose idea?
thanks.

Hi,

there are LED controllers. With dimmer input (push button).
And others with a 1..10V control input.

You could build your own.
Maybe linear current controlled (adjust voltage to decrease power dissipation)
Maybe digital with a microcontroller, and PWM output.

Klaus

Hi,

there are LED controllers. With dimmer input (push button).
And others with a 1..10V control input.

You could build your own.
Maybe linear current controlled (adjust voltage to decrease power dissipation)
Maybe digital with a microcontroller, and PWM output.

Klaus

i want to build my own, i don't want to use existing driver, do you have proposal ?

Hi,

yes how to supply the microcontroller when the switch is OFF for few seconds.

1) you talked about "a few ms" before, so a capacitor could do the job. Now there are "a few seconds". A factor of 1000. But no problem for a goldcap. In sleep mode even a standard capacitor should do.
2) is there a need to supply the controller? Why not power it OFF? (I did a very low power application, where I save the last "operating state" in EEPROM. --> nonvolatile memory)

Klaus

Hi,

1) you talked about "a few ms" before, so a capacitor could do the job. Now there are "a few seconds". A factor of 1000. But no problem for a goldcap. In sleep mode even a standard capacitor should do.
2) is there a need to supply the controller? Why not power it OFF? (I did a very low power application, where I save the last "operating state" in EEPROM. --> nonvolatile memory)

Klaus
i was not aware that saving the last operating state in the EEPROM can solve the problem when there is no power, i will see in details the microcontroller solution, if the problem can be solved

Status
Not open for further replies.