Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Career in engineering after 40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puppet1

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am involved in analog/mixed signal and RFIC Design and am wondering if this is the the type of job where you can have a career after being 35-40 years old.

Are there many people this age still doing design ? Or are they managers who do occasional design so they do not get laid off ? Do many people leave after being this age (40) and go into something else besides engineering ? Do people get MBAs and become managers ?

Does the industry like to hire non married young people ?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Re: Engineering after 40

Well, I am 54, just got hired into a new hardware engineering position. Have had 2 other offers in the last month. In fact people don't want to know how old I am despite the fact I have a head of grey hair!

If you can do the job you will get the offer, at least that is my experience. The engineering manager I report to is well past 40, one of my colleagues is 46 and form the look for them several of the other Senior Design Engineers wont see 40 again, some other possibly 50.

Fifteen years ago agism was far worse than ti is now.

John

well i am worried about the state of the semiconductor industry that is really it

Engineering after 40

i know both in this age one is fully techncial person and another one is an engineering manager and have about 20 engineers working under his command

khouly

it really depends on what you want to do ...
i know some people that don't want to work technical anymore and go for managing positions...they just feel more comfortable this way....
there are some who are managers but get involved from time to time with their design teams...to refresh their minds...they're engineers after all...
then again, you can be always one of the "staff"...as long as you can get the job done...or just be in the R&D department for instance, or university research...etc.
these are all technical too

Engineering after 40

40+ years old analog/RF... designer has huge amount of experience. I guess Companies like them.
But I heard about some 60-70 years old peolpe who are still in the industry :) (one of them designs over 10 GHz circuits, microstrip antennas without any computer simulation knowledge, and many times his solution is better than young guys' design with optimalization tools, simulators etc.)

Engineering after 40

lots of older experienced people in power electronics in canada. knowledge is very valuable. still people stay in design past 40 sure, but usually as lead technical role, not the one actually doing the work. just making sure the worker bees stay on track and help to resolve technical issue. also define architecture and system level requirements...

Mr.Cool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back