Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

capacitor with common mode voltage change

Status
Not open for further replies.

skywalker898

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi we are designing a totem pole pulsed power supply and a question has come up about overcurrent situations.

We have a floating power supply, 12VDC connected to a 10uF capacitor. This is isolated from ground and the power supply and capacitor float with respect to the high voltage output (going from -300V to +500V square wave pulses at 25us). We are getting overcurrent hiccup protection coming on after a certain number of pulses, and I'm wondering if it is due to the common mode voltage change on the 10uF capacitor. If both leads of a floating capacitor change voltage from -300V to 500V, doesn't charge have to be flowing in this capacitor so that effectively we are charging the capacitor up over and over again?

Basically, what current flows when a floating capacitor has common mode voltage changes?

Thanks,
Brandon

I never really heard of 'common-mode voltage' with respect to a capacitor, but I think I get your idea. You don't really mean that "both leads change voltage from -300V to 500V", you mean that a cap with 12V across it rides on a reference that changes from -300 to +500. Current flows in a capacitor when the voltage ACROSS it changes; it doesn't care what the absolute values of the pin voltages are, only what the difference is.

i=C*dV/dt

If dV (voltage across the cap) is zero, zero current flows.

A reasonable question would be if the "floating" power is designed to tolerate 800 V common mode steps.

A complete schematic would generally help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back