Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitor damage issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murugesh_89

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am using a 4.7nF ceramic capacitor in my board. If i test 10 boards, 2 boards are not properly working.
After changing the capacitor with the newer one, this issue has fixed.

I suspect that as 4.7nF capacitor contains very thin plate at it terminal, the over heating during soldering leads to the issue. If this is the issue, what capacitor other than ceramic can be used?

If i wrong, what could be the issue and how to overcome it?

Thanks,
Murugesh

Capacitor ESR has been getting greater notice as an obstacle to proper operation. I've seen reviews of ESR meters, where technicians say they are now able to single out a bad capacitor that tested good using normal tests. The meter allows them to make quicker diagnosis and repair than previously.

I don't know that ESR is your problem, or whether soldering is what causes the problem. ESR can be checked by applying volt levels below the diode threshold, and without having to disconnect components.

Status
Not open for further replies.