Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitive Load and Linearity

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSarris

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I want to design an opamp that drives a capacitive load (1-2pF) with unity gain and i would like to get good linearity performance. I had some discussions with a friend and told me that as soon as my GBW should be relatively high (200MHz) in order to achieve good linearity it would be better to drive it with a current signal because when you drive a capacitor with current at high frequencies, the linearity is better. I didn't understand it very well can anybody please elaborate?

Are you sure you mean 1-2pF? That's less than stray wiring capacitance.

What is the highest frequency of your signal?

Actually the signal is 200MHz, it is a track amplifier for a time interleaved ADC. I made a mistake, i want unity closed loop gain until 200MHz. Capacitive load is to be optimized for noise but we started from 1pF. My process is a 0.18um CMOS . yes the load is like this (not necessarily a realistic case). It is for an educational purpose, so many things are unrealistic in this assignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.