Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Capacitance of SMD resistor

Status
Not open for further replies.

KonstanU

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have been surpised when my measurement of SMD capacitance revealed value 500-600 pF (SMD value is 200k).
Who can tell me if it is true or not?

That is unreasonably high and I suspect your measurment instrument is not measuring capacitance but the equivalent reactance. How are you measuring it?

Brian.

That meter is not really intended to measure capacitance of other types of component than capacitors. There are some meters that use complex phase and voltge measurements to measure capacitance when other component properties are also present but your meter does not.

I think what you are seeing is a false reading caused by the meter being confused by the resistance and mistaking the current flowing through it for charge in a capacitor. Meters normally use one of two common methods, either they discharge the capacitor then see how long it takes to recharge from a known current, or, they apply a known AC voltage at one end and measure the current it passes into a load at the other. In both cases, having resistance as well as capacitance will cause a wrong reading, making the meter think the capacitor is much larger than it really is. A typical capcitance across an SMD resistor will only be 1 - 2 pF.

Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.