Status
Not open for further replies.

neoflash

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Human body picks up 60-Hz noise from main supply 110-v wiring in rooms. It should be from electrostatic mode coupling.

Is there any article estimated how much parasitic C is between human body and the wirings? Or estimate how much 50-60 Hz voltage noise will human body normally carries in a regular living space?

Regards,
Neo

It's about 20 to 100pF depend on the environment (more metal objects around - 100pF)

It's about 20 to 100pF depend on the environment (more metal objects around - 100pF)

I believe it is the entire C from human to earth, like in HBM model.

I am more curious about partially to wiring of 110v main supply only?

I just did one of my favorite tests with my oscilloscope. Touching my finger to the signal lead only, I see 2V amplitude of 60 cycle hum. (This is in a normal apartment residence with some appliances running.)

Since the scope has 1 megohm input impedance, it implies 2uA of current traveling through my body. Supposedly I pick this up via capacitance from house wiring. There are the basic raw calculations if you are looking for a Farad value. Probably in the pF range as suggested in post #2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…