Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can't read compass when it is connected to microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrWhoF

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When I connect my compass to my PC (hyperterminal) I can see data strings comming out of it.
When I send the same strings (from hyperterminal) to microcontroller it works, but when I connect directly compass to microcontroller it doesn't work. Why?

Re: Can't read compass

Check the compasse’s output levels ..
It’s quite possible (and very likely) that it is an RS-232 device but with 0-5v output ..

Most computers will happily accept 0-0.5 as -3 to -25V and 4-5V as +3 to +25V..

If your microcontroller has RS-232 driver such as MAX232 (or similar) it will not accept anything close to 0V as negative level and therefore will not produce required logic H(igh) ..

Rgds,
IanP

DrWhoF

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Can't read compass

what compass u r using ?

DrWhoF

IanP said:
Check the compasse’s output levels ..
It’s quite possible (and very likely) that it is an RS-232 device but with 0-5v output ..

Most computers will happily accept 0-0.5 as -3 to -25V and 4-5V as +3 to +25V..

If your microcontroller has RS-232 driver such as MAX232 (or similar) it will not accept anything close to 0V as negative level and therefore will not produce required logic H(igh) ..

Rgds,
IanP

I use KVH-100 digital compass.
I will check it out as soon as I have it back.
Maybe you are right.

Hi,
And if what Ianp told is true, you can simply use a 74HC14 on your microboard instead of Max 232 and it will solve the problem, but then, if you want to connect to computer from micro, you need to limit the voltage out put from PC to micro using a resistor and a zener to 5V/-.6V
Regards,
Laktronics

The KVH-C100 compass engine has definitely 0-5V RS-232 levels .. see attached info ..
Cheers,
IanP

DrWhoF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back