Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can you troubleshoot this??

Status
Not open for further replies.

INS-ANI

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Guys, i have created a wireless ad-hoc network to share internet between two laptops.the host (HCL leaptop) is directly connected to LAN cable from service provider, and the other laptop (DELL 1420) is hosting an adhoc network , which is joined by the HCL laptop
The problem is, the HCL system is getting a download speed of 30-50 kbps, but the dell laptop is getting only 4-5 kbps, which if i am lucky sometime surge to 10kbps.
The above download speed mentioned is for torrents)

Here are few details abt my connection:

BAND: 802.11b
data rates :11Mbps
radio freq : 2.412 GHz
channel no :1
type: device to device adhoc connection

Initially when i created the network 2 days ago, it was providing sound sharing of internet over this wireless connection. However, for sometime its not working.So, now i have got two problems
a) the wireless network not sharing internet.
b) the wireless network not providing enough speed to client on a 400kbps ISP connection.(when it was working)

My trouble shooting steps showed the following results:
* Pinging result negative from host to client and vice-versa.
* host and client are in same subnet
host>IP>169.254.227.221 , subnet>255.255.0.0
clinet>169.254.141.223 subnet>same
so this seems to be correct.
*Internet sharing box checked in ethernet lan connection settings.
*Operating system firewall turned off.(windows xp both)
* this particular problem possibly started after i mingled with firewall/wireless lan settings.
the option can be found at :: wireless connection>status>properties>advanced>windows firewall settings>wireless network connection setting>services and ICMP

Services and ICMP was possibely mingled by an unexperienced user, but i can't be sure of it.

Wireless adapter is use:
client: Intel wireless 3945ABG
host: RT73 USB WIRELESS LAN CARD (Ralink)

Please suggest Remedy.

PS: what can be possible reasons for problems as experienced above in a wireless network?

Either this is a limitation of an adhoc network, or i am doing something wrong.
need remedy guys!
thanks in advance!!!

This is an ambigous problem which may require a couple solutions?!

I will not tell you much now because am waying several options that i think might have caused this problem;therefore i will give you the ultimate one, if you havent tried it anyway?! i would advice you to Restore your machine to a previous state(system checkpoint)-am sure you know the dates when what happened so go back to an earlier date and restore-then try connecting...be warned that you might have to install some drivers which might dissapper during this processs

let me know the outcome...

Good Luck,

fullforce

Thank you for your response.
Restoring the system may probably work, but i will never know what went wrong.
I will keep it as my last option.

I will be pleased to know possible reasons for these particular problems. I guess, the connected network giving negative ping request is the major problem. I have checked the subnet mask. i will appreciate if you can tell me some remedy for this particular step.

Animesh

Status
Not open for further replies.