[General] Can we upgrade/change Microcontroller firmware Over the Air through Bluetooth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have seen some posts discussing Over the Air firmware upgrade through WiFi.

Is it possible to upgrade a Microcontroller firmware through a Bluetooth (Smart) technology?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

yes, if you have a bootloader installed...

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have one more question: Can we capture a system's data (such as Status Registers, Data Logs, Waveform data, etc..) from the System (which has an MCU + some Bluetooth Smart device) to a Bluetooth enabled device such as a Smartphone?

My questions may look simple as I am a newbie to the Embedded Systems and Bluetooth technology with a decade of experience in another domain.

Thanks.

Hi,

in general you can transmit all data via bluetooth. It doesn´t mind if it is data, or code.

But you need software to send and receive data on both sides of the bluetooth channel.
One side could be a microcontroller, the other side could be a cellular phone.

Klaus

Reactions: emb

emb

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello!

Yes, it's possible. I'm doing it.
But what you have to be careful about is that a radio path has some non negligible error rates.
It will therefore depend on what BT you are using, etc.
I have an external flash for LCD data, and I am using a part of this flash to temporarily store the
firmware. As long as the firmware and its checksum don't match, I don't upgrade.

If your system involves an SD card, then you can also use it a a temporary storage.

Just in case, I don't use the chip's bootloader, I wrote a second one in program flash.

Dora.

Reactions: emb

emb

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…