Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[General] Can we upgrade/change Microcontroller firmware Over the Air through Bluetooth?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have seen some posts discussing Over the Air firmware upgrade through WiFi.

Is it possible to upgrade a Microcontroller firmware through a Bluetooth (Smart) technology?

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

yes, if you have a bootloader installed...

Klaus

Hi Klaus,

Thank you for the prompt reply.

I have one more question: Can we capture a system's data (such as Status Registers, Data Logs, Waveform data, etc..) from the System (which has an MCU + some Bluetooth Smart device) to a Bluetooth enabled device such as a Smartphone?

My questions may look simple as I am a newbie to the Embedded Systems and Bluetooth technology with a decade of experience in another domain.

Thanks.

Hi,

in general you can transmit all data via bluetooth. It doesn´t mind if it is data, or code.

But you need software to send and receive data on both sides of the bluetooth channel.
One side could be a microcontroller, the other side could be a cellular phone.

Klaus

Reactions: emb

emb

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hello!

Yes, it's possible. I'm doing it.
But what you have to be careful about is that a radio path has some non negligible error rates.
It will therefore depend on what BT you are using, etc.
I have an external flash for LCD data, and I am using a part of this flash to temporarily store the
firmware. As long as the firmware and its checksum don't match, I don't upgrade.

If your system involves an SD card, then you can also use it a a temporary storage.

Just in case, I don't use the chip's bootloader, I wrote a second one in program flash.

Dora.

Reactions: emb

emb

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back