Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can we trust microchip ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

techristian

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have recently bought 2 new PIC programmers and am just starting to get into PIC programming. I'm getting nervous that MPLAB required that I be ONLINE to install and goes ONLINE all of the time for "device updates".

Is it possible that someone at MICROCHIP is grabbing all of my work or do you consider me paranoid?

Why must we be online all of the time to program these things ??

BTW I have the PICKIT3 with "One PIC Microcontroller Platform" for experimenting.

Dan

All Microchip tools can be installed and operated without internet connection I think. In so far I don't understand the problem.

I've been using Microchip devices since the PIC1650 came out over 20 years ago. I've also been using Microchip's tools since MPASM and MPSIM for DOS were the only ones available. I'm now using MPLAB8.90 and MPLABX 1.7 and I cannot ever recall any of them going on-line at any time. In fact some of my systems don't have an internet connection anyway.

Are you using genuine tool from Microchips own web site? I'm suspicious it's something else that's calling home.

Brian.

You can install some firewall software, lets say for example ESET Smart Security, and you can control access (allow or deny) to the Internet for each application separately.

Is it possible that someone at MICROCHIP is grabbing all of my work or do you consider me paranoid?

If someone wants to grab your datas, always there is other and better ways to get all from you, starting from circuit, PCB, firmware sources, .... passwords,..... and all rest what you have in your computer. I dont think that Microchip wants few KB from someone code. :smile:

you do not need to go online for Microchip products, especially ver 8.90.

I am using these products and not even once was I required to be online.. Please check whether you have understood the problem...

even if some one got the software from illegal way they don't know the way the HardWare or platform is build so that can use it anyway

Yes, directly from MICROCHIPS.COM also running 8.90

Oh wow! Even if the poor chap does get a "proper" copy from microchip.com, he may first have to clean out a trojan, or virus, and edit the register of all entries it may have spawned.

I tried "microchips.com", and there is something strange about the page.
It does not display on my (Firefox on Linux Mint) browser straight off, requiring a scripts from "rooktemplate.com", and when I allow all the scripts, I see a repeating progress bar on the blank page, and a new script required for "fwdservice.com" for which a search brings up postings about "malicious URL blocked"!

In the end, there may not be anything sinister, but I know I have just added to his paranoia - for which I am truly sorry.

No I AM dealing with MICROCHIP.COM not microchips.(my bad for trying to remember the url off the top of my head) Anyway they are the same ones that sent me the package @ https://www.microchipdirect.com/ to buy or get free samples.

I will try to unplug the ethernet cable later today while programming with this thing and report back. I had a glitch at first with the disk they sent me. They sent me V 8.70 and it wouldn't install at all, so I went to their website for v 8.90

Dan

- - - Updated - - -

even if some one got the software from illegal way they don't know the way the HardWare or platform is build so that can use it anyway

Thanks Ivan, but I'm planning on making this as simple (hardware wise) as possible. If possible, the only thing that I will add will be a crystal and power supply. all of the "smarts" will be in the chip. I may add a resistor ladder if I don't like the sound of PWM .

Dan

Did you check house maybe you are wired and maybe "they" use cameras also to see all what you typing on keyboard and screen. There is possibility that your design is right now in middle of big production in some factory in asia. Paradox will be when you buy your design in market on weekend discount. :smile:

Code can be extracted from many µC in specialized labs for small money, in hex format (ASM). Some of this labs can make complete production material and strategy based on received finished product (PCB, Firmware, documentation,...). Best protection for commercial products from stealing is continual innovation of product with random traps in design.

Last edited:
Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
So when it says that it needs to "download a driver" to the pickit3, I found out that it means to just transfer from computer to device, not from internet.

Dan

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I'm now using a Linux version of MPLAB X. I tried installing it on my WinXP machine and even with the "switcher" it didn't program properly, so a clean install on this UBUNTU laptop worked well.

Dan

I use ICD3 not Pickit3 but whenever I switch processor families MPLAB needs to download new firmware to the ICD3. That is a download from the PC to the ICD3 not from the internet.

The driver switcher is only required with MPLABX, I believe. I have had three attempts so far with various versions of MPLABX and they have all been a disaster so I am sticking with MPLAB. The XC compilers are an improvement though and work fine under MPLAB.

Keith

So when it says that it needs to "download a driver" to the pickit3, I found out that it means to just transfer from computer to device, not from internet.

Dan

yes you got that right, it means download the driver to the device from the computer....

It seems to me that Brian is right.

programming tools are, unfortunately, ALL a work in-progress. Updates happen because other people found glitches in the chip, and those glitches have work arounds in the software updates. I would not worry about it, Microchip in particular is a professional and righteous company.

But it is useful to periodically visit torrent sites, maybe you find something yours. :)

Of course I'm kidding.

You can trust to Microchip, so far they do huge job to make PIC environment and platforms, and I dont think they will fall down on 2KB of someone code. If you ask them, they will probably help you in your project or give you some guidence.

- - - Updated - - -

By the way, if you're on the verge of discovery of cold fusion, and you discover PIC solution for that, then this can change situation. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.