Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can we make this huge verilog code(32 bit multiplier) into small one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokyslash

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am a beginner when it comes to verilog and i have found this 32 bit multiplier code(using CSLA logic:it seems, thats what a friend of mine said). Is there a way to reduce the code: i mean by using for loops or any other method. I am doing this for my academic project and i need some expert help if there is a way i can reduce this.

P.S I am new to such forums and stuff, so please forgive me if i am posting things in a wrong way or anything.

Here is the code attached and it has simple AND gate,half and full adder modules in this.

Attachments

• multiplier.txt
    52.2 KB · Views: 235

For FPGAs, you can (and likely should) use "*" with the appropriate types. This is because there are multiply units already in the FPGA. These multiply units have dedicated logic and routing. As a result, it will be hard to make a better multiplier out of normal LUTs and normal routing resources.

As vGootimes said the FPGA equivalent to the huge, un-maintainable mess of structural Verilog, would be this:

Code Verilog - [expand]
module multiplier (
  input  [31:0] a,
  input  [31:0] b,
  output [63:0] p
);

assign p = a * b;

endmodule

But if you want high performance you'll probably want to add a clock and include some pipeline registers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back