Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Can Some explain the difference between Capture and PCB Editor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lhavens

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can someone explain the difference between the two? I am a little confused. I am not sure where to start. I have a board outline and i am tryind to add a component (Rebel Es), there wouldn't be much of schemetic because all i am using is the LED and to contacts for power. I am bouncing betweem the two trying to get this to work. I have the rebel es file in *.max form so i can not import it because it ereases my board outline. Any ideas are welcome.

Lee

Try using orcad layout translator through this you can translate your orcad layout file(*.max file) to Allegro layout file

It translated it but i am not quite sure how to use these files? Again it made a *.brd file.... I need it to be a library file so i can use it as a component. I have made it this far but am stuck to what to do next. I do appologize for my ignorance, but i need a little more indepth explaination.

Capture is inputting the schematic drawing.

PCB entry is routing the pcb.

Sounds like you want to add a new compomnents, this means you have to add a new component to a library.
There are two library types schematic and pcb.

I would suggest you get some training in Orcad capture and Orcad PCB Editor.

---------- Post added at 12:11 ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 ----------

I would suggest you get some basic training in Orcad capture and Orcad PCB Editor.

I agree, I do need training. I understand there are two different libraries, I guess what I want to know is can i create a part in PCB without a schemetic or is it have to have a capture library as well as the PCB part? I am waiting for Complete PCB Design Using OrCAD Capture and PCB Editor to come in, so i am just trying to learn as much as I can.

".......Again it made a *.brd file.... I need it to be a library file so i can use it as a component. I have made it this far but am stuck to what to do next"

From *.brd file you can export the footprint symbols. In Allegro (PCB Ediotr) these are called as .DRA. Use File>Export>Libraries in PCB Editor to do this.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back