Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

can programming VB6 using MSCOMM control USB2RS232 dongle

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_expoler2

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
can i programming VB6 using MSCOMM control USB2RS232 dongle

Re: can programming VB6 using MSCOMM control USB2RS232 dong

When the USB2RS232 driver is implemented as a virtual COM Port (I think this is always the case since it's the goal of the USB2RS232) then you can use the virtual Com Port as a normal Com port
(I do that in VisualC++ and it works. So if the MSCOMM control is implemented correctly, it should work)

Antharax

Have done it as wel and it works for me.

One enoying thing is that the virtual com port gets assigned to different com port numbers depending on the USB port the dongle is used in. This can be realy confusing for non experienced users with old/bad software, resulting in a lot of suport calls :(

The solution is to not use the port numbers when selecting the port but the text descriptor that is used in windows nowdays. This text will say COM1 and COM2 or something for the real ports and something like "USBCom serial port" for the usb one depending on the plug u are using.

re Me

Do you know if it is possible to have reliable 9-bit comms implemented in this way?

Dont know about that, but I would guess that it might depend on the usb dongle used. I have tested some diferent ones, some are simular in funcion and other differs a lot, especialy if you try to do something other then simple RS232 com and use it as a "normal user"...

re Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back